Environmental sustainability is very important to Mermaid because essentially, it is the right thing to do and our team members and customers expect it. Mermaid understands it has a responsibility regarding its environmental footprint. We will ensure to monitor and control the impact of our activities – whether it be direct or indirect – on the environment including but not limited to reduction of greenhouse emissions and the use of environmentally friendly and sustainable products
We are committed to minimising toxic emissions and waste through selection and use of environmentally friendly and stable products.
Our Environmental Policy
Mermaid’s Environmental Policy covers environmental aspects of the cleaning & hygiene services of both the company & our subcontractors when working on our behalf on client premises.
We can offer you the most appropriate cleaning methodology to suit your business needs. Whether we employ traditional products & cleaning methods, or use alternative microfiber & waterless technologies, the Mermaid Property Services philosophy is to always operate in an environmentally aware manner.
Mermaid activities that may have an impact on the environment include:
- Use of chemicals in the cleaning process;
- Power operated equipment;
- Use of artificial light during night cleaning; &
- Disposal of waste produced in cleaning process & as requested by our clients.
Mermaid is committed to continually improving our environmental performance through our objectives & targets. Our commitment to environmental practices includes:
- Meeting the requirements of the Environmental Protection & Biodiversity Act 1999 [Federal], State EPA Acts & local government environmental regulations;
- Documented environmental systems implemented in company offices & client premises within the scope of our influence; &
- Inspection & audit against environmental standards & identified aspects & are undertaken
The company documented environmental system forms part of our overall integrated management system [IMS] & as such is in accordance with ISO 14001:2004.
The IMS is subject to continual improvement of systems & regulatory compliance in accordance with state & federal legislation.
Environmental objectives, integrated with quality & safety objectives & targets include, but are not limited to:
- Compliance with OHS Statutes – State & Federal requirements
- Compliance to ISO 14001:2004 – sustainable systems within the IMS
- Elimination of waste to landfill
- Prevention of pollution to air, waterways & ground surfaces
- Engage in recycling & reuse programs
- Continually improve our environmental footprint including carbon emissions
All staff & service delivery subcontractors have a shared responsibility for the environment.
Mermaid’s commitment to the environment is communicated through this policy & supporting IMS systems to staff & subcontractors at induction & is displayed in prominent positions within the organisation as is practical.
The environmental policy, as part of the integrated management system is reviewed annually for continuing suitability, regulatory compliance & opportunities for improvement.
Accountability for the IMS is the General Manager & responsibilities delegated to senior management throughout the organisation as documented.